Personal Injury Defense
Because Olson Brooksby is experienced in high-exposure personal injury litigation, we understand how to defend even the most high stakes, bet-the-company cases that involve catastrophic injury and death. We are also experienced with personal injury cases that involve punitive damages.
Experience and Accomplishments:
- Defended a log truck driver in a complex permanent injury and wrongful death case. At trial, multiple plaintiffs asked the jury for over $2.7 million. Kristin Olson achieved a net jury verdict of $104,000, with the jury awarding nothing in pain and suffering damages to two of the plaintiffs. This was upheld on appeal. Estate of Ibarra v. Lilly, 245 Or App 294, 263 P3d 1053 (2011).
- Achieved a defense jury verdict in a $1 million admitted fault personal injury case. Kristin Olson defended a math teacher in an automobile accident case where the plaintiff alleged serious permanent injuries and the teacher admitted fault for the accident. Kristin successfully argued that her client did not cause the plaintiff's injuries. Johnson v. Emmons, Multnomah County Case No. 090303028 (2009).
- Defended the corporate driver of a truck who collided with a bicyclist. The plaintiff bicyclist claimed serious, ongoing injuries and asked the jury for damages of $734,000. Kristin Olson presented evidence showing that the plaintiff bicyclist was actually 25% at fault for the accident. Plaintiff recovered $69,750--less than a tenth of what she requested. Brantley-Dalglish v. Universal Applicators, Multnomah County Case No. 100405884 (2010).
Practice areas include:
- Mass torts
- Product liability
- Conventional and chemical burn injuries
- Defense of various chain and retail stores
- Sexual abuse cases, including the defense of churches and schools, and cases related to sex trafficking
- Food and beverage outbreak and contamination
- General liability defense
- Personal injuries involving recreational vehicles
- Transportation accidents, including those involving automobiles, boats, trucks, logging trucks, and bicycles
- Wrongful death and catastrophic injury
- Premises and liquor liability
- Employer Liability Law
We have first-chaired the defense of personal injury trials to verdict in both state and federal courts. Our lawyers were shareholders at a large defense litigation firm in downtown Portland, and started their careers doing insurance defense cases.
Our lawyers are uniquely experienced to handle complex injury cases. We set ourselves apart from other lawyers in Oregon because we have tried cases that almost always settle, including cases involving sexual abuse and catastrophic wrongful death claims. The lawyers at Olson Brooksby understand, however, that it does not always make the best business sense to try a case. We work with our clients to identify their goals and desired results, and we work to achieve the client’s desired outcome, whether that be a settlement, arbitration or, sometimes, a jury trial. We are prepared and experienced in all stages of litigation. We work to understand our clients’ businesses so that we can assist them with brand protection and brand management, whether that means that the case needs to be settled or tried.
We have defended individuals, businesses, religious institutions, and non-profit organizations for decades.
Kristin Olson, one of our shareholders, regularly serves as an arbitrator in personal injury cases.